Thursday, August 13, 2009

Shoe update...

I've decided not to redress my shoes. I put my damask beside the shoes today outdoors in the sunlight and the light blue and the dark burgundy/maroon looked great together!
So my new plan is to make removable lapels and sew a removable cover for the straps that also covers the buttons. Then I can add a fancy buckle to the cover and voila, 18th century looking shoes :D

I made a quick try in some scrap fabric this afternoon and it looked pretty good. So tomorrow I will go into town and see if I can find some nice buckles and a good fabric for this little project. I have a upholstery velvet that almost match but I will give the fabrics stores in Uppsala a fair chanche before I cut the velvet.

I feel so clever now :P

I think I saw buckles similar to these in a craft store and I think they would look fabulous on my shoes.

I've also started on my under petticoat today. I'm sewing it by hand with white lined thread. I willl use "reinforced runnning stitch" i.e a running stitch wich a occasional back stitch. I read about this technique in "Kvinnligt mode under tvÄ sekel" and according to that book this was a coomon method for seams that don't take any strain.



  1. Yay! I'm glad you aren't changing the shoe colour! And I think having shoes that aren't super matchy-matchy is more historical anyway.

  2. Yes, I agree, I've seen several pictures and paintings were the shoes don't match the rest of the outfit color wise.
    And I really was hesitant to begin with since they looked brand would have been diffrenet if they were hard worn.


  3. Those shoes and the buckle are so pretty - I can't wait to see what you do with them!